• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Cyber Bullying- How do you handle people who are always negative to you?

Nova

I have this issue for years. No matter what I say, I have some people who turn those things into negative. And to avoid this I make sure to not be around such people. But there are times when they do come around eventually. So I have been struggling to handle those type of people for years. 

Is there any way to handle such type of people. How would you make this type of the bullying stop?

AdSense Advertisement

Cyber Bullying is awful as it is so hard to get away from.  I made some poor choices in high school and couldn't even stand existing on social media for years because of it.  Sadly, I have not found any solutions as people just love drama so much and cyber bullying is a type of drama, so even ignoring the people starting it is hard to escape from.

Sadly it is true that Cyber Bullying is awful.  I have not had to personally deal with it as my social media experience is minimal compared to most and I haven't found bullying to be a huge problem on sites like forums and such.  Overall I find social media like Facebook and Twitter to be full of negative people and choose to avoid the group as a whole instead of trying to pick the good ones.  Sure, you can say that I'm missing out, but from what I see on those platforms, I am much happier off of them completely and only maintaining enough presence to run my business pages.

• 2 years later...

I make use of the BLOCK BUTTON. It saves me a lot of stress having to deal with all of their BS all the time. If it's on forums and the forum software have FORCE IGNORE, I will use it immediately. I love having my peace online. 

• 5 months later...

I have a thick skin, especially online. I started going online during the “Wild West” days of the internet, so people called you out if you said stupid stuff.

I also went on 4chan during its heyday, and that site was entirely shit talking and shit posting, so nobody really took anything seriously there.

I also grew up in an environment where people trash talked all the time irl, so going online and seeing people act like that didn’t surprise me.

Despite saying all that, I think there’s a time and place for trash talk. People casually talking about a video game, and you coming in and being a Negative Nancy about it, or insulting people for liking it, you’re just an asshole.

This also can come across as harsh for some people, but I’ve seen quite a few people not have the self awareness that they’re causing trouble for everyone, and the cyberbullying is from them being either annoying, or can’t handle people disagreeing with them.

I don’t know anything about OP, or accusing them of anything, but I’ve seen quite a few people from places like FP where they get mistreated on multiple communities because of their own actions, as opposed to them being having bad luck and only meeting assholes online.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:42 PM, Uncrowned Guard said:

Sadly it is true that Cyber Bullying is awful.  I have not had to personally deal with it as my social media experience is minimal compared to most and I haven't found bullying to be a huge problem on sites like forums and such.  Overall I find social media like Facebook and Twitter to be full of negative people and choose to avoid the group as a whole instead of trying to pick the good ones.  Sure, you can say that I'm missing out, but from what I see on those platforms, I am much happier off of them completely and only maintaining enough presence to run my business pages.

I apologize for the double post, and the fact this is a few years old, but Facebook being a positive or negative experience is based almost entirely on your own actions. If you're friends with mostly drama queens and assholes, then yeah, Facebook will be a bad time. If you're friends with people who post benign stuff, you'll have a positive experience. It'll be smooth sailing if you also ignore Facebook groups and ignore comments on news pages of companies and stuff you follow.

I don't add people I don't care about, so I don't really see or deal with a lot of negativity on there.

Twitter on the other hand, curating it takes a lot of work, so you're not really missing much there. Facebook is significantly easier to curate.

38 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I don’t know anything about OP, or accusing them of anything, but I’ve seen quite a few people from places like FP where they get mistreated on multiple communities because of their own actions, as opposed to them being having bad luck and only meeting assholes online.

This observation holds true for numerous issues encountered in the digital world. It's important to remember that online interactions are inherently public and can quickly place individuals in contentious situations. While this in no way justifies bullying or similar behaviors – there are always more constructive approaches – it's crucial to recognize the ease with which one can inadvertently create adversaries in various online spaces. Whether it’s joining a new community, engaging in a conversation, or commenting on a post, a few seconds and a few words can significantly impact how others perceive and interact with you online.

26 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I apologize for the double post, and the fact this is a few years old, but Facebook being a positive or negative experience is based almost entirely on your own actions. If you're friends with mostly drama queens and assholes, then yeah, Facebook will be a bad time. If you're friends with people who post benign stuff, you'll have a positive experience. It'll be smooth sailing if you also ignore Facebook groups and ignore comments on news pages of companies and stuff you follow.

I don't add people I don't care about, so I don't really see or deal with a lot of negativity on there.

Twitter on the other hand, curating it takes a lot of work, so you're not really missing much there. Facebook is significantly easier to curate.

Your perspective aligns closely with mine on this subject, especially considering the foundational life principle that "things are what you make of them." However, this notion mostly reinforces my initial argument regarding social media's tendency to foster a more negative environment compared to real-world interactions. In my experience with various social circles – be it friends, colleagues, hobbyist groups, or social clubs – the atmosphere is predominantly positive, or at the very least, neutral. Any negativity tends to be the exception rather than the rule, often isolated to just a few individuals. This typically makes real-world social experiences more about steering clear of the occasional negative person rather than seeking out the positive ones.

Conversely, social media often requires a deliberate effort to curate connections and find groups that are not marred by negativity. While my view has evolved from three years ago – I no longer see these platforms as being "full" of negativity – I maintain that approaching social media with the same expectations as standard social settings is more likely to result in negative experiences. The dynamics of online interaction inherently differ from face-to-face engagements, often amplifying the need for cautious and selective engagement and this is what can get the unsuspecting user in a tough spot.

@Grungie I believe it's crucial, especially in broader discussions about cyberbullying, to shift our focus from seasoned internet users, who possess a wide range of experience and tools to handle bullying attempts, to those who are less familiar with the online world. These users may not be as equipped to handle the intense scrutiny that can come with online interactions. Similarly, in real-life scenarios, anti-bullying efforts often prioritize younger individuals and those who may lack the social skills or resources to effectively manage such situations. While bullying can certainly affect anyone, it's important to acknowledge that the primary targets of cyberbullying are likely not frequenting tech forums or similar spaces. IMO, our efforts should be tailored to protect and empower these more vulnerable groups in the digital landscape.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

This observation holds true for numerous issues encountered in the digital world. It's important to remember that online interactions are inherently public and can quickly place individuals in contentious situations. While this in no way justifies bullying or similar behaviors – there are always more constructive approaches – it's crucial to recognize the ease with which one can inadvertently create adversaries in various online spaces. Whether it’s joining a new community, engaging in a conversation, or commenting on a post, a few seconds and a few words can significantly impact how others perceive and interact with you online.

I think because of meeting various people in life, I started realizing there’s two sides to every story. I usually try to see both sides before making a conclusion.

There are people who have really bad luck, and end up in really crappy situations by happenstance, and other people brought it upon themselves. 

There are communities that are like a magnet for toxic people, and other times, I see people who treat any kind of criticism or anything remotely negative as cyberbullying.

For the former, if every community you meet in that particular field or hobby is negative or full of jerks, my suggestion is to just distance yourself from that community. You can still like the hobby or field, but hate the community. While I love punk music, I can’t stand the community. I just wanna talk about the music, but the community seems to care more about street cred and gatekeeping.

Though if you’re experiencing negativity in various communities, unless you have really bad luck with your interests (it’s possible), there’s a good chance it’s a you issue.

While I’m not condoning people being dicks, some people do need to step back and have some self reflection if you keep ending up in bad environments. Are your interests a magnet for toxic people, or are you the problem?

Edited by Grungie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grungie said:

For the former, if every community you meet in that particular field or hobby is negative or full of jerks, my suggestion is to just distance yourself from that community. You can still like the hobby or field, but hate the community. While I love punk music, I can’t stand the community. I just wanna talk about the music, but the community seems to care more about street cred and gatekeeping.

Though if you’re experiencing negativity in various communities, unless you have really bad luck with your interests (it’s possible), there’s a good chance it’s a you issue.

While I’m not condoning people being dicks, some people do need to step back and have some self reflection if you keep ending up in bad environments. Are your interests a magnet for toxic people, or are you the problem?

I'd like to expand on this point by noting how easily individuals can find themselves in echo chambers online, particularly those with negative or morally questionable viewpoints. In these spaces, not only are such stances accepted, but they are often reinforced and amplified by like-minded individuals. This can lead to the formation of communities with increasingly toxic ideologies, sometimes expressed in subtle but harmful ways. The concerning aspect is when members of these echo chambers venture into more general communities, they may find themselves confused or frustrated by the lack of acceptance for their views, not realizing the toxicity that they've internalized and are projecting.  That user will likely proclaim they are being bullied, but in truth, they are simply out of touch with reality in many cases.

Interestingly, this is a key reason why I continue to host forums on most of my websites. As someone with strong opinions, I'm aware of how easy it is to inadvertently create an echo chamber myself, especially when you're the sole creator of content. By fostering a public community, I'm not claiming it's a foolproof solution, but it certainly introduces valuable checks and balances. This setup allows users to actively engage and question the direction of content and discussions, providing a broader range of perspectives and helping to prevent the formation of a one-sided narrative.

6 hours ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

I'd like to expand on this point by noting how easily individuals can find themselves in echo chambers online, particularly those with negative or morally questionable viewpoints. In these spaces, not only are such stances accepted, but they are often reinforced and amplified by like-minded individuals. This can lead to the formation of communities with increasingly toxic ideologies, sometimes expressed in subtle but harmful ways. The concerning aspect is when members of these echo chambers venture into more general communities, they may find themselves confused or frustrated by the lack of acceptance for their views, not realizing the toxicity that they've internalized and are projecting.  That user will likely proclaim they are being bullied, but in truth, they are simply out of touch with reality in many cases.

Interestingly, this is a key reason why I continue to host forums on most of my websites. As someone with strong opinions, I'm aware of how easy it is to inadvertently create an echo chamber myself, especially when you're the sole creator of content. By fostering a public community, I'm not claiming it's a foolproof solution, but it certainly introduces valuable checks and balances. This setup allows users to actively engage and question the direction of content and discussions, providing a broader range of perspectives and helping to prevent the formation of a one-sided narrative.

The echo chamber thing is definitely very real, but a lot of the time what can freak people out, is when it’s an echo chamber for seemingly more benign stuff.

I personally don’t like joining very specific fandom type communities and try to join ones that are more broad. An example of what I mean by specific versus broad is I like video games, particularly JRPG’s. I’ll join a JRPG community, but I won’t join one dedicated for a single franchise.

A lot of the time, they end up being too positive. The fandom can do no wrong, fostering an echo chamber. So when someone leaves that fandom specific community, they freak out when they realize that some opinions from that community aren’t well received, or worse, the fandom they like isn’t well received.

Not saying you have to change your opinion, but it can cause people to freak out when they’re not used to being around someone with a differing opinion. Then there’s people who just can’t handle someone not liking the thing they like, but that’s a different discussion there…

So I suggest joining communities with more varied opinions. For example, I’m into computers, and I noticed that it’s not uncommon for PC gamers to not be knowledgeable about computers outside of gaming. They know more than the average person, or are around technologically illiterate people, so it can create the illusion they’re very well versed.

So when they only engage with others whose entire computer choices involve gaming, certain hardware choices, or the mere existence of a product not targeted at gaming can baffle people. Some of the confusion would be for expensive products whose intended purpose isn’t explicitly stated (ie color grading monitor). Other times they’re baffled that people buy things like Chromebooks and tablets, as the mere thought of someone using a computer for nothing more than basic web browsing is alien, or not being shackled to a desk is alien.

So I definitely encourage seeing more varied communities to see a wider view.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 3:50 AM, Jason said:

It's a big problem on music learning forums and social media.  Anyway, some criticism is understandable, but generally it's a lot of elitist jerks and one thing about my forum is that crap is not allowed.

It's very unfortunate that we have more of keyboard warriors than we do in real life. Most of those jerks wouldn't say anything in front of you should they ever meet you in person. A lot of them are just big sore losers who are just never happy for anyone in whatever they are doing. 

• Like 1