• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Social Media Platform For Kids

So recent news (linked below) has Facebook developing an Instagram just for kids under 13 (being that once they are 14, they can just join the "adult" social media platforms).  However this is raising a lot of concern across the board with many seeming to believe that young children are not properly prepared to be on social media and even studies being done to show that almost half of younger users on social media are already being cyberbullied. 

One counter point to this concern is the fact that many young children are already using social media before they are of age and it would be safer for those kids to use a dedicated platform.

I find myself at a crossroads on this one as I would be against a social media platform just for minors as I can see too many problems arising and if children and parents put their trust into the platform, then malicious users can be lead to horrible outcomes.  Perhaps I would be more for the idea if it wasn't Facebook creating the platform as they do not have the best track record at protecting children on their current platforms, but I do see their point in the fact that young children are already (and have been for decades) using the internet before turning 14.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

AdSense Advertisement

It sounds like the project is "paused" at the moment after some stern government feedback.  Oddly this comes as my view on the topic turns more turns supporting a platform like this.  Facebook has the tools and money to provide a very strict environment for children and kids need to learn about social media before they jump on at 14 and ruin their lives with a dumb picture or post. 

• 9 months later...

I believe in moderation but the majority of people don't. When I was younger, kids were limited how much TV time we could watch. Parents don't seem to limit them on phones, computer, & sites such as Social Media. Not to mention cyberbullying took bullying to a whole new level where it wasn't just one person who could do damage but they could mass send it to many others.

Another thing, nobody knows who is real or not online. So many kids have thought they were speaking to someone their own age but it was someone much older. There's no moderating.

14 minutes ago, ZandraJoi said:

I believe in moderation but the majority of people don't. When I was younger, kids were limited how much TV time we could watch. Parents don't seem to limit them on phones, computer, & sites such as Social Media. Not to mention cyberbullying took bullying to a whole new level where it wasn't just one person who could do damage but they could mass send it to many others.

Another thing, nobody knows who is real or not online. So many kids have thought they were speaking to someone their own age but it was someone much older. There's no moderating.

Moderation is a major concern.  It is actually the biggest reason that I would not consider making an Uncrowned Kids website or anything of the sort.  The moderation would have to be both super invasive and massive in numbers to keep it safe for the kids and even then terrible things can still happen.  Odds are AI will be needed for it to work correctly and I can't say that AI moderation is ready for a major product like this.

• Happy 1

• 1 year later...

Social media really isn't good for anyone.  In fact, it was helped in design by people who create slot machines.  That says a lot! 😀   Why do we need kids exposed to this stuff?   

Well, I'm on social media, so I'm a hypocrite, but I see the danger.

Edited by Jason

• 1 month later...

Personally, I'm all in support of this development because the real social media platforms we have today are totally not for kids in any way. Look at all the stuffs going on in TikTok and Instagram with ladies going almost naked to grow their followers because that's how they become famous and rich. The content they create isn't safe for kids to watch. 

On 1/28/2024 at 2:36 AM, Heatman said:

Personally, I'm all in support of this development because the real social media platforms we have today are totally not for kids in any way. Look at all the stuffs going on in TikTok and Instagram with ladies going almost naked to grow their followers because that's how they become famous and rich. The content they create isn't safe for kids to watch. 

Ya, this is a huge issue and it worries me quite a bit as most of these platforms are throwing half-naked women and dangerous "challenges" as the standard recommendation for brand-new users.  Essentially the exact thing a child making an account as an adult will land on.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

I know this cyberbullying with kids goes on cause my close relative was the bully back in the late 90s.  This was before social media was on the scene.  It was on chat boards. 

Cyberbullying is a major issue, and I would say that a platform dedicated to kids could help with that by taking practical steps to discourage the practice.  Of course, it sadly is not something that I believe will ever be fully gone or completely avoidable.

23 hours ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

Ya, this is a huge issue and it worries me quite a bit as most of these platforms are throwing half-naked women and dangerous "challenges" as the standard recommendation for brand-new users.  Essentially the exact thing a child making an account as an adult will land on.

Cyberbullying is a major issue, and I would say that a platform dedicated to kids could help with that by taking practical steps to discourage the practice.  Of course, it sadly is not something that I believe will ever be fully gone or completely avoidable.

Sorry to sound old, but back in my day, there was none of this.  Video games, and primitive ones at that, was all that was available.  Anyway, I'm not sure if online chatting is good for kids, but I don't want to be judgemental.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jason said:

Sorry to sound old, but back in my day, there was none of this.  Video games, and primitive ones at that, was all that was available.  Anyway, I'm not sure if online chatting is good for kids, but I don't want to be judgemental.

This is more to the reason that I support kids-focused social media.  Most content and activities on social media and even the web as a whole are not great or even outright dangerous for kids.  However, kids are finding this content and using those platforms.  While I fully support parents who don't want their kids on any of it until they are older, as a parent, I also know that it took until 1st grade for our youngest to have a classmate with access to their own phone.  I'd call that insane, but I know that I can't prevent the use of social media and I also have no answer to how to prevent it as they get older and now 90% of their classmates and friends have access.  This is actually why I support the idea of sites and social media just for kids, it isn't so much "kids need access to the web", it is much more "we can't stop it, so let's reinforce safe platforms for them".  I would still fully support parents not wanting their kids online, but I would also feel much better if the videos going around class or the sites kids found a way to access from school computers were designed to protect the kids and were not just TikTok and the like.  

And don't get me wrong, I do fully support less electronics for kids and less electronics in at least elementary level education. Sadly this is not exactly the experience anymore. Even our 6-year-old has been assigned a Chromebook from school in order to do work on. He's not allowed to turn on the TV at home without asking for permission first, but he has a laptop that he can use at any time during school. So essentially I just feel like the goalposts have moved to the point that we need to find a better way to embrace the technology then to try and avoid it.

Edited by Uncrowned Guard
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Uncrowned Guard said:

This is more to the reason that I support kids-focused social media.  Most content and activities on social media and even the web as a whole are not great or even outright dangerous for kids.  However, kids are finding this content and using those platforms.  While I fully support parents who don't want their kids on any of it until they are older, as a parent, I also know that it took until 1st grade for our youngest to have a classmate with access to their own phone.  I'd call that insane, but I know that I can't prevent the use of social media and I also have no answer to how to prevent it as they get older and now 90% of their classmates and friends have access.  This is actually why I support the idea of sites and social media just for kids, it isn't so much "kids need access to the web", it is much more "we can't stop it, so let's reinforce safe platforms for them".  I would still fully support parents not wanting their kids online, but I would also feel much better if the videos going around class or the sites kids found a way to access from school computers were designed to protect the kids and were not just TikTok and the like.  

And don't get me wrong, I do fully support less electronics for kids and less electronics in at least elementary level education. Sadly this is not exactly the experience anymore. Even our 6-year-old has been assigned a Chromebook from school in order to do work on. He's not allowed to turn on the TV at home without asking for permission first, but he has a laptop that he can use at any time during school. So essentially I just feel like the goalposts have moved to the point that we need to find a better way to embrace the technology then to try and avoid it.

I still think it's overkill.  In fact, kids shouldn't do homework on computers until they get in the 6th grade - and even at that age - it should be only at school (opinion).

Edited by Jason